Friday, February 14, 2014

Did We Survive Our First Valentine's Day Class Party?

The short answer is... sort of...

Last Friday, E's teacher sent home the class list and a half sheet of paper saying that they would be having a Valentine's Day Party and requested that E bring cups by Wednesday. On Wednesday, E dutifully took his party contribution and I set off for work in ignorant bliss.

On Wednesday evening, we heard about all the things that the other kids brought for the party. Look, I'm new to this. E is my oldest and although by now I shouldn't be surprised at the junky foods, I still found myself in a state of shock when I heard about the party offerings. After the shock, I was mad and after the mad came the distinct feeling of loneliness. Yes, I titled my blog and my cause "one mom", but am I the only one that cares about this stuff??

The first thing my son told me on Wednesday evening was that there was nothing healthy for the party. No fruit? No vegetables? Nope and nope. Candies, cookies, cupcakes, chips and... soda.

Soda??? Soda for a party at school?? And I supplied the cups??!?!

I'm not so naive to think that there wouldn't be treats. I don't want my kids to have a lot of sugar or other processed junk. I also don't want for the occasional treat to be out of the question. I'm still trying to find that balance. However - soda is absolutely out of the question. I know plenty of adults, including myself, that have struggled to give the stuff up - I know quite a few that are still in the midst of that battle. Soda has no redeeming value. It's just bad. We all know this right?

Wrong! Because if we all knew this, then nobody would be serving it to kindergartners (or any children of any age) at school. It wouldn't even be considered an option.

I forget that not everyone thinks the way I do. I live in Bakersfield, Kern County, California, USA where obesity rates are high and food insecurity is high and we test 7th graders for Type II diabetes and soda finds its way into the class of kindergartners.

I emailed the Principal. I cited the Wellness Policy and the recent memo sent by the Assistant Superintendent (less than a month ago) about the District's desire to create a healthier environment. I volunteered to bring water to replace the soda. I expressed my outrage. Soda is irrefutably bad for everyone and it has no place in the classroom.

Low and behold, I got a return email within a few hours. Yes, some teachers intended on serving soda. (But really, did some parents get a note home asking for soda for the party? Did the note just ask for a drink and parents supplied soda instead of something healthier?) An email was sent to every teacher reminding them that there should be a healthier alternative. E reported last night that the soda was sent home with the kids that donated it and that it would not be served at the party.  I thanked the Principal profusely and expressed my gratitude over taking the health of these students seriously.

Tonight, E brought home more than a dozen candies. There was no real food offered at the party - not even fruit! And yes, there was water. And fruit punch. But! No soda!

Not having the soda was an absolute win for those kindergartners. I know that. I'm genuinely happy about that. I'm so glad that I didn't hit a brick wall and that the Principal was proactive and helped to fix the problem.

But that lonely feeling still persists...

No comments:

Post a Comment