Monday, December 9, 2013

Kale Chips

I've made kale chips before, but this time I wanted to try it with purple kale. I like the recipe at Smitten Kitchen. It is pretty simple and straight forward. The ingredients are few: kale, olive oil and sea salt. You could add other seasoning or maybe even Parmesan (note to self - try that next time!). I'm always on the lookout for new ways to eat veggies, especially greens, so that the family eats more servings.  E is really good about eating salads and and he loves collards and other cooked greens, but why not try chips? Don't most kids like chips??

Purple kale is more delicate than dinosaur or curly kale, so I only needed to bake these for 15 minutes at 300°F. The above recipe says 20 minutes, but I'd start checking on the chips at about 15 minutes since size and type of kale will make a difference in cooking time.

*Added bonus? After tossing the kale in the olive oil, my hands are softer!

Maybe this would be a good side dish for a school lunch menu? The prep takes the time, but I bet someone that is quicker with a knife than I am could chop up the kale quickly, then its just a matter of tossing it in oil and a little salt, then into the oven to bake! Of course, the school would need a kitchen with an oven...

Unfortunately, that beautiful purple color didn't stay. Live and learn right? While the chips aren't outright ugly, they aren't what I hoped for.  None the less, they are still delicious!  E, my husband and I all packed some in our lunches today.  Last week, I gave E some purple kale in a salad for lunch. When he got home, he told me that he didn't like it.  Fair enough, kale can be really bitter when it is raw. Even though I find the purple kale more palatable than other varieties, it is probably still an acquired taste when eating it raw. This morning, E tried these chips and loved them! Mom wins!

No comments:

Post a Comment