Thursday, December 12, 2013

Tomorrow is the Big Day

In late October, I wrote to the Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent of my oldest son's school district.  As I mentioned earlier, I found the district's wellness policy and read through it. I felt compelled to take this as far down the road as possible. 

The following is, in part, what I wrote in the email.



I am reaching out to both of you for a few reasons. First, I want you to know that I am dedicated to the good health of my children. We aren't perfect, but we do avoid fast food and many processed foods. We have treats from time to time, but E knows he isn't going to get candy every day. I find myself frustrated that E attending kindergarten has begun to undermine my carefully considered health lessons at home. To that end, I've done a lot of research and that has led me to see our community in a new light. Through my research, I have become passionate about the issues of childhood obesity and food insecurity. I found that in Kern County, 43.8% of 5th, 7th and 9th graders were considered overweight or obese. I looked at the district's physical fitness testing outcomes and have seen that they are not much better than Kern County's average numbers. In addition, I've found studies that show kids pay more attention and do better in class when the extra sugar and other junk foods are eliminated from their diets. Moreover, kids in a healthy environment are more likely to come to class and less likely to be truant. I also read that 46.7% of students at (E's school) in 2011-2012 school year were enrolled in the free/reduced price lunch program. The food, in totality, that is served, offered and depended upon by your students, every day, matters. It might be the most important topic for you to consider because, in my mind, it might be a part of the solution to truancy, participation in the Breakfast and Lunch programs at school, student behavior, and your academic outcomes.

I share this with you because I am determined to make a difference. I'd like you to make a difference, too. Here is what I offered the district.

I would like to help you lead a Health Council or Committee. Perhaps this Council would start at the district level and then begin to involve groups specific to each school? Either way, I would very much like to lead the charge. I'd be happy to meet with one or both of you or your designee about how to go about the Council's creation. I should also add that I have been bold. There is absolutely no obligation, but I have signed up (E's school) with The Alliance for a Healthier Generation. You have the ability to sign up the entire district as well. This non-profit was ranked 3rd with www.myphilanthropedia.org in the area of National Childhood Nutrition/Health. The Alliance has several programs, including one for healthy schools. You can find their information at https://schools.healthiergeneration.org. I encourage you to look around their website, have a look at their programs and successes, and see if this would be a good fit for the District.  Thank you so much for your time and consideration. And thank you both for all you do for my son and the other children attending schools in the District.

There were a few brief emails back and forth that acknowledged my email and my concerns. I waited impatiently for a few weeks to hear a decision regarding my offer.  Then in the second week in November, the Assistant Superintendent emailed me to let me know that  they were in touch with key staff members to set a time for a council meeting. They had, in fact, signed up all the other schools in the district with The Alliance program!

I wanted to shout it from the rooftops! I wanted everyone to know that it was possible for one person to make changes! I told my family and my friends. I blathered on to my co-workers. I did it!! I was so excited that it took me several days to return the email. I couldn't find the words to describe how much this meant to me and how much gratitude I had that my words were heard and that we were going to give this a chance.

Well, tomorrow is that meeting.  I have the agenda. I know who is attending. I am nervous and excited. It feels like the first day at a new job. I'm ready to learn and discuss and absorb and I am ready to get to work. I don't know how this meeting will go. I'm worried that these district employees, with so much already on their plates (common core, anyone?), will look at me as more of a pain in their sides than someone that is trying to help them out. I hope they understand that I want them to be rockstars. I want them to succeed. I want them to be a great example of what can happen in this county.

I'm sharing this with you, because I need you to know that it is possible. You can use your voice and you can make a change for the better.  You should do this. Have I said this already? Food matters. What we put in our bodies and what we feed our children has so many ramifications for health, society, the earth. I want my kids to be healthy, but I've gone further. I want your kids to be healthy, too. I'll ask you again - are you with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment