Friday, December 13, 2013

Life Doesn't Always Go As Planned

This morning, while trying to balance too many things, I dropped a small container of salsa. It spilled on the ground. I stared at the spilled salsa for a few too many seconds. I told myself that this wasn't a sign. Just because I dropped the salsa, it didn't mean that today was going to go poorly. I told myself this. I tried really hard to believe it.

The District Health Council was to meet at 3:15 today.

At 2:58, I received a call that E was laying on the couch at day care, complaining of a stomach ache. I had to pick him up. My husband was at work. I called and left a message with the assistant superintendent to let everyone know that I would be late.

But E was feeling pretty warm and he had a rash on his stomach. That with stomach pains? He needed to see a doctor. My husband could leave early to take him, but how long would waiting at urgent care take? If it took too long, who would pick Baby O up from day care? How long would my meeting last? Surely not longer than 5pm?

I tried to make decisions quickly, but it just wasn't going to happen.  I called the district again at 3:45 - I wasn't going to make it to the meeting.

My son, by the way, is OK. His fever spiked in the waiting room. 103 degrees. The doctor called it a virus. Medicine for fever, medicine for rash. He came home hungry, which I took as a good sign. Right now he is content in the living room, watching a favorite television show. He tells me his stomach doesn't hurt anymore. I am so relieved that he will be OK and that the rash didn't turn out to be anything serious.  It makes me sad when my kids are sick and feel miserable. I always wish I could fix them up with a magic wand.

But...

I didn't make it to the meeting. I wasn't there.

What did they talk about? Are they convinced that this is necessary? Are they excited about The Alliance program? Did they take an honest look at the environment of their schools? Are we meeting again soon? Is there an action plan?

I wasn't there. I couldn't talk about food rewards, no recess punishments, pop tarts at daycare, school gardens, nutrition education, ice cream socials, or trans fats in frozen school lunches from Chicago. What did they talk about??? Did they touch on any of that? Did I lose my one opportunity?

I am disappointed. I need to go hug my son and remind myself that taking care of my kids is priority one and that it is alright to miss one thing to take care of something more immediate.  Tomorrow is another day, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment